GSMA seeks an experienced Project Manager Events, reporting to the Head of Events operations or Senior Project Manager Events.
The main purpose of the role is the management, planning and execution of GSMA events, incorporating project management, operational planning, logistics and liaison with internal and external departments. The Event team works alongside the Exhibition team who are responsible for the delivery of the exhibition elements of our events. Both teams report to the Director of Operations.
This role is slightly different from standard Project Manager Events Roles as the candidate is frequently required to take overall project management of events rather than just pure operational responsibility. The individual sales, marketing and content plans will be set by the respective teams, but it is the responsibility of the event project manager to oversee the execution of these plans and ensure deadlines and objectives are being achieved.
Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Project managing all elements of an event, including standard event planning and liaising with internal departments to ensure end-to-end cover for each event, and across multiple events.
- Developing project plans and critical paths for each event, with clear financial and operational milestones highlighted.
- Ownership of specific suppliers and contracts as the ‘business owner’
- Contract negotiation and management of process from specification development, through tender process and supplier selection, to final implementation of agreed service on site.
- Authoring the business schedules, working with legal to develop the complete contract
- Preparation of service level agreements (SLAs)
- Liaising with suppliers to negotiate agreement and obtain signature within set tolerances and deadlines
- Build and manage day to day supplier relationship
- Management of venues, facilities, suppliers, registration, AV & technical, transportation, signage.
- Health & safety / Risk Assessments.
- Event P&L budget management including management of tenders, quotes, purchase orders and invoice payment. Sponsorship and delegate revenue specific to conference area under management must also be managed.
- Budgets to be developed, both from scratch and working within business plan figures; level of budgets managed to be circa £250-750K
- Regular reporting on all budget forecasts and actuals
- This role involves meticulous planning and venue/supplier management at the highest level within the industry.
- Preparation of onsite resourcing plan and event schedule.
- Travelling to each event, where necessary, for onsite event delivery.
Quality & standards
- To work in-line with the processes and procedures set by GSMA for all events globally
- Manage and implement the standard GSMA policies, rules and regulations
- Maintain the standards of high quality set by GSMA for all events globally
- Ensuring the agreed exhibition items with the Sponsor as negotiated with GSMA Sales team are implemented prior to and on site and that the agreed terms and conditions for both parties are adhered to.
- Weekly reporting of key issues /milestones (project, operational and financial) .
General Project Assistance:
- The Operations Department is extremely busy, constantly working to tight deadlines and embarking on new projects. The candidate will be required to provide additional assistance on other project components as required.
Criteria for Selection
Qualifications (Degree, certifications, special training):
- Preference given to candidates with degree level education (any discipline) but not required.
- Industry experience essential, preferably from either in-house or agency (not just venue/ vendor).
- Experience of global LSE (large scale events) > 1000 pax,
- Solid experience of good event processes (which can be demonstrated).
- Exposure to wide range of events (conferences, seminars, awards) and demonstration of project management aspect of events, not just logistical management.
- Experience of working with C'level clients/ dignitaries/VIPs.
- Experience of delivering events outside of UK and awareness of sensitivities to cultural differences.
- Able to demonstrate ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills required, especially Excel and PowerPoint.
Project Management (PM) Skills
- Able to demonstrate awareness of strategic elements of a project as well as logistical.
- Certification in PM is a benefit, but not essential.
- EM will be expected to undertake, and pass, AGILE PM qualification
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate well and confidently using all forms of communication (email, written, virtual calls).
- Attention to detail and strong grammar (in written comms) is very important.
- Strong presentation skills required.
- Fluent in Mandarin and English
- Additional languages not essential, but definitely beneficial.
- Finance: negotiate venue / supplier/service contracts
- Contractual: payment terms, T&Cs, development of SLAs
- Experience of management of RFP process, incl analysis of responses and presentation of recommendation.
- Up to value of <£50k with minimal guidance from DLM.
- Over value of £50k, varying level of guidance from DLM.
- Experience of building and managing day to day relationship
- Experience of effective cost management.
- Ability to manage multiple complex budgets.
- Understanding of financial processes (e.g. POs and reconciliation)
Health and Safety
- IOSH and First Aid qualified preferred, but not essential. Will put candidate through training.