GSMA – Industry Purpose:
Connecting Everyone and Everything to a Better Future
In 2016, the mobile industry became the first sector as a whole to commit to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The mobile industry is already affecting all 17 Goals as outlined in Mobile Industry Impact Report published in September 2016. The mobile industry is now focused on amplifying and accelerating the industry’s impact in achieving the SDGs, and the new Big Data for Social Good initiative has been announced at Mobile World Congress this Feb. The Big Data for Social Good initiative looks to contribute greatly in addressing some of the biggest challenges facing humanity: epidemics and natural disasters. A major goal of the Big Data for Social Good initiative is to develop scalable, common processes and mechanisms and build an ecosystem to support timely planning and response to crises. For further information on the Industry Purpose, visit www.gsma.com/betterfuture, for Big Data for Social Good initiative, visit www.gsma.com/betterfuture/bd4sg.
GSMA are leading the Big Data for Social Good initiative, which is a cross-operator, multi-national activity to establish a capability delivered by mobile network operators to use data (e.g. from mobile networks) to improve efforts to fight epidemics, respond to natural disasters and assist in environmental initiatives.
The initiative seeks to scale previous work which has been undertaken by individual operators working with local partners to a regional or multi-national capability that can address a variety of "disasters" ranging from epidemic/ pandemic outbreaks through to natural disasters such as earthquakes or predicting/ addressing other environmental issues such as the effects of pollution.
This role is for Head of SDG Impact Accelerator, who will provide strategic leadership, manage cross-functional team, build external partnerships, and lead development of a credible industry-wide proposition for Big Data for Social Good working with multiple stakeholders both from mobile operators and the organisations who will use the insights produced out of the mobile network data and other sources.
The role combines both the requirement for a person with outstanding Big Data for Social Good landscape knowledge along with the communications and stakeholder management skills required to work with a group of peers, partners and executives distributed around the world.
• Reports to Head of Industry Purpose
• Accountable as a business owner of SDG Impact Accelerator, with the guidance from Head of Programme on the amplification and strategic announcement requirements
• Provide strategic leadership to develop a credible industry-wide proposition for Big Data for Social Good, and future SDG impact accelerator initiatives
• Establish necessary collaboration mechanisms, process and governance with relevant stakeholders internally, from the operator members, and from external partners, in order to deliver the proposition
• Lead and manage the cross-matrix Big Data for Social Good team to deliver impactful end-results at speed
• Lead and drive engagement with multiple stakeholders both from mobile operators and the partner organisations to establish consensus and to develop scalable industry-wide solutions
• Build partnerships with external organisations globally and locally (the target markets, which are required to execute successful trials and to deliver the intended impact.
• Drive the planning and development of the organisation’s strategy on big data for social good with particular familiarity with epidemics and disaster response
• Experience working with a diverse range of senior stakeholders including members of the mobile industry on consensus-based initiatives
• Strong knowledge of policy, privacy and partnership consideration related to the use of mobile operator big data and ability to communicate these issues clearly
• Familiarity with the landscape of existing actors, consortia and efforts aiming to harness big data for social good and ability to manage relationships with prioritised actors
• Strong knowledge of demand side priorities from organisations and agencies seeking to use insights from mobile operator data for social good (emphasis on humanitarian and health organisations and agencies)
• Experience leading the development of policy positions and guidelines to support multi-stakeholder initiatives in the technology and/or international development sector
• Ability to identify and engage key partners including local organisations, academia, national and global companies, institutions and agencies to identify and achieve shared objectives
• Understanding of the implementation challenges of scaling big data for social good projects using mobile operator data from a policy and technical perspective
• Strong operational experience in the implementation of multi-stakeholder and multi-country projects
• Possess and maintain a strong knowledge of relevant emerging trends and developments related to big data for social good and potential implications and opportunities for the mobile industry
• Ability to gather and provide high quality contextual information to inform internal and external big data for social good project stakeholders
• Lead internal knowledge sharing and capacity building on the role of the mobile industry within the big data for social good agenda
• Experience working with cross-functional internal teams
• Demonstrate the ability to work in a fast moving environment which depends on effective team work to deliver effectively
• Ideally experience of working at or with mobile network operators and/or international and governmental organisations, e.g. humanitarian response organisations, health organisations, ministries…
• Independent and confident to develop and maintain relationships with senior stakeholders from multiple organisations (mobile operators, humanitarian agencies, national agencies, analytics organisations, etc)
• Able to work at pace and under pressure at times and evidence of focus on achieving goals and delivering to deadlines
• Experience and understanding of working with people from different cultures and countries
• Excellent communication skills on an individual or group basis, including strong spoken and written English, demonstrated through clear writing and the ability to understand instructions and effectively undertake allocated tasks
• Excellent cross-level stakeholder management skills to resolve disagreement and drive consensus
• Proactive in driving work and stakeholders to deliver results
• Excellent presentation skills both in preparation and presentation and ability to present to senior executives as well as to working level peers
• Experience working in marketing or campaign-driven programme where projects activities and deadlines can be driven by external factors such as announcement and events.