GSMA – Industry Purpose:
Connecting Everyone and Everything to a Better Future
In 2016, the mobile industry became the first sector as a whole to commit to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The mobile industry is already affecting all 17 Goals as outlined in Mobile Industry Impact Report published in September 2016. The mobile industry is now focused on amplifying and accelerating the industry’s impact in achieving the SDGs, and the new Big Data for Social Good initiative has been announced at Mobile World Congress this Feb. The Big Data for Social Good initiative looks to contribute greatly in addressing some of the biggest challenges facing humanity: epidemics and natural disasters. A major goal of the Big Data for Social Good initiative is to develop scalable, common processes and mechanisms and build an ecosystem to support timely planning and response to crises. For further information on the Industry Purpose, visit www.gsma.com/betterfuture, for Big Data for Social Good initiative, visit www.gsma.com/betterfuture/bd4sg.
GSMA are leading the Big Data for Social Good initiative, which is a cross-operator, multi-national activity to establish a capability delivered by mobile network operators to use data (e.g. from mobile networks) to improve efforts to fight epidemics, respond to natural disasters and assist in environmental initiatives.
The initiative seeks to scale previous work which has been undertaken by individual operators working with local partners to a regional or multi-national capability that can address a variety of "disasters" ranging from epidemic/ pandemic outbreaks through to natural disasters such as earthquakes or predicting/ addressing other environmental issues such as the effects of pollution.
This role is for a Technical/ Analytics lead who can deliver the day to day technical work for GSMA, working with peers both at mobile operators and the organisations who will use the insights produced out of the mobile network data and other sources.
The role combines both the requirement for a person with outstanding technical knowledge along with the communications and organizational skills required to work with a group of peers distributed around the world. This will be a hands-on technical role involving both software development as well as analytics/ machine learning development.
Demonstrable experience is required in many of the following:
• Detailed requirements specification
• Data analysis and statistical analysis
• Design and development of statistical/ analytics algorithms using a variety of (preferably open source/ open standards) industry standard frameworks
• Design, development and tuning of machine (deep) learning algorithms using open source/ open standards frameworks
• The design and implementation of APIs used to expose data to partner systems
• The design and implementation of 'adapters' which will receive data from partner systems
• Leading projects involving international internal and external stakeholders
• Excellent communications skills, including being able to explain technical concepts and design ideas to less technical audiences
• Managing junior technical staff
• Development of test specifications and testing of deliverables
GSMA expect to contribute both software and algorithms developed to the wider community and therefore any code/algorithms developed must be of high quality, and be well documented as it will be subject to peer review and input.
It is expected the analytics/ technical lead will also provide day to day management of an intern who is currently being recruited to GSMA starting June/ July. In addition the analytics/ technical lead will work closely with and under the direction of the Big Data Lead Architect.
• Demonstrate the ability to work in a fast moving environment which depends on effective team work to deliver effectively
• Ideally experience of working at or with mobile network operators and/or humanitarian response organisations
• An academic background in computing, mathematics or a scientific/ engineering discipline
• Practical application of computer science, computer analytics or machine learning within a commercially focused telecoms organization or humanitarian response organisation
• A demonstrable passion for mobile based technology, products and services, as well as the field of analytics, 'Big Data' and machine learning
• Curious enough to dig into data and search for different patterns in order to discover new insights
• Independent and confident to manipulate big data sets to create reports for end users and management
• Practical experience in a selection of the following: R, Python, numpy, scipy, AWS Big Data/ Machine Learning, Watson, Tensorflow, Caffe, Theano, MongoDB, Spark, Hadoop, matlib, tableau, JSON
• Able to work at pace, especially when required to produce new insights from data sets quickly.
• An ability to work under pressure at times and evidence of focus on achieving goals and delivering to exacting deadlines
• Experience of working/studying with people from different cultures and countries
• Excellent communication skills on an individual or group basis, including strong spoken and written English, demonstrated through clear writing and the ability to understand instructions and effectively undertake allocated tasks
• Proactive in searching for direction, proposing different technical options and clarifying requirements