The GSMA Ltd seeks a talented and experienced Sales Account Director to sell its flagship event - Mobile World Congress – which takes place in February in Barcelona. It is one of the largest business to business events in the world attracting over 100,000 attendees and over 2,200 exhibitors. GSMA Ltd is the commercial arm of the GSMA Mutual Trade Association. As well as MWC it also runs MWC Shanghai, MWC Americas and m360 Regional Series.
In addition to their Account Director responsibilities, the successful candidate will also lead the global Delegate Sales team and be responsible for circa £15million of pass sales revenue. They will manage a team of two permanent delegate sales executives, as well as a number of periodical contractors brought in to supplement the team at various stages over the year. They will need to recruit, train and motivate the team ensuring they have relevant leads for their region and are selling effectively over the phone. Working alongside marketing they wil l need to ensure targets are met.
The ideal candidate for this role will have an understanding of the telecom and mobile eco systems, have excellent experience in selling trade shows, and most importantly can demonstrate success in a sales capacity.
Duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Specifically tasked with growing revenues for the MWC through exhibition, sponsorship and advertising sales.
- Sourcing leads from existing GSMA exhibitors and members, but also through proactive outreach via social media, LinkedIn, news publications, competitive events
- Account management of existing clients – selling directly to them, building strong business relationships, ensuring the event meets their requirements and we maintain a high level of client satisfaction
- Conducting face to face meetings as well as over the phone sales
- Identifying industry trends and developing event packages accordingly to capture the needs of the clients
- Global travel will be required
Specific criteria and competencies required:
- Extensive event sales experience – will also consider candidates with sponsorship, digital or advertising sales experience
- Excellent knowledge of the global mobile and tech industries
- Experience in managing the full sales cycle from planning to closing deals
- An over achiever with a track record of exceeding targets
- Proven ability to offer a first-class, professional sales and account management service to commercial partners and to build strong business relationships at all levels
- Proactive approach to identifying opportunities, generating leads and producing sales presentations
- Experience of managing and motivating a team
- Exceptional telesales experience
- Knowledgeable of CRM systems, ideally Salesforce