GSMA – Purpose Campaign: Connecting Everyone and Everything to a Better Future
The GSMA brings together our mobile operator members, the wider mobile industry and the development community. In 2016, we became the first industry to support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Mobile is the predominant infrastructure in emerging markets and we believe it is the transformative technology that enables us to put relevant, impactful services into the hands of underserved people.
GSMA – The Role
The Purpose Programme Marketing Director will be responsible for the delivery of an overall marketing strategy, building awareness and engagement by providing consistently high quality collateral that is innovative, on-brand and designed to showcase the industry in the best light possible.
Targeting multiple audiences (B2B, B2B2C and B2C) across multiple regions, this role will develop tailored marketing activity at regional and global levels, utilising great content across direct channels such as digital media, social, PR, events and operator channels.
A key strategy involves developing a credible voice on the global stage with world and business leaders. Working on high-level events to identify high profile opportunities, keynotes, panels and media opportunities is very much a priority. As such, developing briefings, presentations, positioning papers, opinion pieces and speaking points is required.
The GSMA is a matrix organisation, this role requires excellent leadership skills with a mature approach to managing direct reports, teams and partners. The ability to galvanise teams across the GSMA, mobile operators and relevant industry organisations by setting a clear strategy and calendar of activity is essential.
This role reports to the Snr. Advocacy Marketing Director and works closely with the rest of the global marketing team.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop a strategic engagement strategy across B2B, B2C, B2B2C and internal audiences, using content as a differentiator to drive awareness and advocacy through to action.
- Establish a process for using content as a strategic tool across different audiences and integrated communication channels. Publishing an annual plan to support critical events and activities.
- Manage and inspire your team to think big and be bold. Nurture a positive and supportive environment that rewards enthusiasm and a can-do attitude.
- Lead and manage stakeholder / industry briefings to motivate participation and or provide updates on the latest activity of the Purpose Programme.
- Secure and deliver high profile engagement opportunities for C Suite / Officers to engage at global and regional partner events targeting Heads of State, Ministers and global CEOs.
- Develop key messages, opinion pieces and position papers around the mobile industry’s support for the UN Sustainable Goals.
- Support and provide analysis to the GSMA internal reporting and measurement processes.
- Support the wider GSMA Advocacy Department by including key advocacy messages wherever synergies exist.
Desired skills and experience
- Experience in developing and driving marketing strategy around engagement with external partners and a proven track record in securing high profile partnerships.
- Experience in writing global reports, briefing documents and position papers, as well as messaging, leadership positioning and narrative development.
- Excellent team management skills is essential.
- Strong knowledge and experience of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the key players in the development sector. Technical knowledge of the trends, actors and issues in corporate sustainability is ideal.
- Must have experience working in international development and with government officials.
- Experience of working in an international environment, with geographically dispersed teams
- Strong understanding of and experience in using social media.
- Substantive, demonstrable track record in corporate marketing.
- Evidence of high quality marketing delivery in complex and challenging business-to-business environments
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word and Power Point).
- Demonstrable negotiation skills and experience in managing external suppliers and agencies.
- Willing to travel, should the role require.
- Degree-level academic credentials.