Mobile Money Programme
The Mobile Money Programme works with mobile money providers and the wider financial industry to accelerate the availability of mobile financial services that provide safety, security and convenience to the unbanked. Through its work on mobile money, the GSMA has supported the development of an industry which now reaches over 100 million active users globally – providing much needed financial services to those who were previously excluded from or underserved by the formal financial sector.
Market Engagement team members of the Mobile Money programme work directly with mobile network operators (MNOs) in-country to holistically identify and address the barriers they face in order to scale their mobile money services. Market Engagement supports the development of more successful mobile money services within each region by managing relationships key regional stakeholders, promoting relevant existing GSMA tools and research, identifying and delivering innovative commercial “quick wins” to deepen learning on relevant topics, and provide in-country support to our members.
The Senior Market Engagement Manager will work with the Market Engagement Director for Africa to develop & implement the programme’s regional strategy. The Market Engagement Manager will also support the creation and development of industry initiatives aimed at driving interoperability and ecosystem development.
Responsibilities will include:
- Build and manage relationships with operators and other key stakeholders across the region in order to identify strategic opportunities to provide support and develop initiatives that align with the programme’s core objectives.
- Identify the key barriers, which are currently limiting the opportunity for interoperability or ecosystem development in West & Central Africa, and work with mobile network operators to develop a plan to address these barriers.
- Lead projects and run workshops which provide hands-on support to select operators that are willing to serve as thought partners, for example in the areas of rural distribution, interface optimization, efficient third party integration with mobile money platforms, wallet adoption, and fraud and risk management.
- Drive our regional engagement with the West African Monetary Union (WAEMU), Central African Economic and Monetary Community (CEMAC) and the respective regional regulators, BCEAO & BEAC
- Design & implement insights projects with mobile operators in the region on topics that advance industry priorities as well as the programme’s learning agenda, e.g. the cross-border transfer initiatives pioneered in West Africa
- Build operator capacity to promote and support the sustainable development of the industry at the operational level, with a focus on the successful implementation of the Code of Conduct for Mobile Money Providers, including a self-assessment toolkit and certification regime.
- Ensure operators contribute to GSMA’s annual Global Mobile Money Adoption survey and disseminate resulting benchmark reports to participating operators.
- Support the programme to launch a collaborative approach for a mobile money use case (e.g. interoperable merchant payment solution, government payments, or, P2P interoperability).
- Contribute to the Mobile Money Programme’s learning agenda by producing and contributing to publications and blogs which capture lessons and insights from regional and global interactions with ecosystem players.
- Participate in and present at relevant GSMA events and those of external regional partners to disseminate resources and insights, as well as to continue to position the programme as a thought leader within the industry.
- Ensure appropriate coordination of the programme’s regional efforts with relevant internal and external partners, e.g., GSMA Africa, market level associations, international organizations, etc.
- Share insights with the broader Mobile Money Programme, to help build strong positions which can be used to advocate with key stakeholders around the role of operators in the development of the digital financial ecosystem
In addition to the above, and with the support of the Senior Regulatory Specialist for Africa, the Market Engagement Manager will be required to:-
- Identify gaps in the capacity of MNOs to address regulatory barriers for the development of mobile money services and make recommendations for support that will assist policy-makers to advocate for enabling reforms.
- Identify markets where access to mobile money is restricted, and work with the Senior Regulatory Specialist for Africa and the Policy & Advocacy Director to develop and implement activities that address these challenges. Such activities could include roundtable events to bring the public and private sectors together to discuss mobile money regulation in a particular market, and / or the creation of industry positions, which represent the voice of all MNOs within a market.
- Establish and maintain relationships with financial sector authorities, telecommunication regulators, policymakers and other stakeholders in the region in order to effectively advocate for the adoption of enabling regulatory solutions.
- Provide support to the Global Advocacy & Policy team to undertake market analysis to keep abreast of relevant policy developments and identify what policy solutions are working / not working to enable mobile money deployments to launch, interoperate and drive ecosystem development.
- Work in close consultation with policy and advocacy colleagues to ensure coordination of the programme’s regional regulatory and advocacy efforts with relevant internal and external partners, e.g., GSMA G&RA, African Development Bank (Making Finance Work for Africa - MFW4A), UNCDF, CGAP and ITU.
The Market Engagement Manager will also contribute towards shaping the overall strategic direction of the Mobile Money programme, to ensure that GSMA continues to deliver valuable support to its members and other stakeholders and achieves its goal of creating more successful, scalable and sustainable mobile money services.
The Market Engagement Manager for Francophone Africa will report to the Market Engagement Director, Africa.
The right candidate will be able to draw on a solid foundation of industry knowledge, project management expertise, as well as the ability to engage stakeholders, communicate effectively, and rapidly adapt to different cultures.
- Excellent relationship management skills at an executive level. Business development skills and key account management experience are highly desirable.
- Strong commercial background and ability to set-up and drive multi-stakeholder projects
- Strong analytical capabilities – able to assess different business models, understand what is working / not working in different contexts around new products, and also identify potential solutions
- Strong strategic skillset – able to work on the “cutting edge” of mobile money, to help determine how to successfully scale mobile money services
- A good understanding of mobile money and of the existing financial services landscape for the underserved in the region and familiarity with the relevant policy and regulatory context in key markets.
- Working experience within a mobile operator, bank or payments company highly desirable
- Genuinely interested in both the commercial and social benefits presented by mobile money
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment in escalating issues and formulating solutions
- Excellent communicator, able to express complex technical or commercial issues in plain language, without losing the important points
- Experience of working in emerging markets, particularly in West & Central Africa
- Excellent cultural awareness and the capability to work with globally dispersed teams
- A self-starter, highly motivated to develop the programme
- Willingness to travel on an international basis. Depending on location, Market Engagement Managers should expect to travel up to 50% of the time
- Fluency in English and French is required for the role.